The Langa Township, located some 10 miles from the centre of Cape Town, is built up on a settlement first created in 1901, when 500 Africans were resettled in Langa in the wake of Bubonic Plague in the city. In 1923 the Urban Areas Act was passed forcing black South Africans to live in townships Langa became the first black township in the Cape. The Township made history in 1960 when 50,000 people burnt their passbooks in defiance of the pass laws and again in 1976 when students protested against using Afrikaans as a compulsory first language in all schools.
In 2001 the population was 50,000, but this has been increased considerably since then, partly due to people settling there who have fled from Zimbabwe – one estimate is that the population is now 200,000. The township has a high rate of unemployment and one of the highest levels of HIV/AIDS in South Africa. Quoting from LANGA Attractions it is ‘an area made up of infamous singles quarters, hostels of migrant workers of the apartheid era, a squatter camp, a vast taxi rank, a community centre’, and settlers in a more recent development known as the Beverley Hills of Langa!
‘Over twenty–five percent of tourists take a township tour in an endeavour to ascertain the extent to which the squalor and deprivation of the previously disadvantaged has improved’. There are modern schools, clinics, electricity, running water, sports facilities and more liveable homes, but there is still much unemployment, significant deprivation, cramped living conditions and the real threat of crime.
Recently a great benefit to the Township has been the work of a number of organisations, especially target="_blank">Uluntu Africa Baobab in the case of the Dalukhanyo Pre- School, and also_blank">Inkululeko Tours and Ilios Travel.